Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Week 1 Storytelling: Sour Fox

The Generally Sour Fox

There was once a fox who tried very hard to get some grapes that were out of his reach. Upon realizing that he could not have them, he ultimately decided that they were sour, and that he did not want them anyway. The moral of the story is " there are many who pretend to despise and belittle that which is beyond their reach." The story below is a continuation of his day.

~~~

Shortly after giving up on the grapes that he could not reach, the fox began to walk home to return to his den. He was excited to return home because he had a den that he was very proud of, one that he had spent much time on. Foxes take pride in their dens, as it is the only thing they can call truly theirs.


A fox in his den. Source: Flickr

So because of this, he had worked hard, and dug his den very deep. He did this on purpose, because he wanted to have a den deeper than any other fox. This was his den, and it was better than all of the others.

Upon returning home he noticed a mound of fresh dirt close to his home. This was odd, since he did not have any foxes close to him. He soon found that he had a new neighbor, with a den twice as deep as his own! The mound of dirt outside of the den was incredible, it was obvious that this new neighbor had put a lot of work and took a lot of pride in his new den. 

"This is impossible, how could another do this" the fox thought to himself “I will dig my den even deeper, deeper than my neighbor!”

As he began to dig deeper and deeper, he ran into a rock. This rock hindered him from being able to dig his den any deeper. This rock kept him from being able to make his den deeper than his neighbors, and this made the fox sour. He quickly gave up, and went to his neighbors to make sure that they realized that having a deep den was not important, and that he did not want one anyway, for if he wanted a deep den, he would have one.
 
Bibliography: This story is inspired by the fable "The Fox and the Grapes" written by Aesop in the book The Aesop for Children, published in 2006. Link








4 comments:

  1. I thought your story really flowed well from the original one. I like that the one you picked had a meaning to it. I have definitely seen people do that all the time! It was cool how your story ended up keeping the theme of belittling something you really want just so other people think you’re satisfied. I also liked how you chose to break up the paragraphs it made it really easy to read! Sometimes when the paragraphs are too long I find it hard for me to keep focused on the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome story and I really like the moral in it! I like the continuation you used because it seemed like a realistic scenario for a fox. I really do believe that there will always be something bigger/better/faster/greater than what you have. The key is just to appreciate what you have and I felt like your story got that message across well. It bums me out when I run into people like the fox who rag on others just because they are insecure in themselves. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I really liked how you continued with a take on the rest of the fox's day.. often what happens next is what I am left wondering about most when reading these stories. The story of the fox and the sour grapes is not new to me, so when I first read the title of your story I hoped that was what it would be about. You're story was very detailed, however, I wonder if there was something in the foxes past that gave him his bad personality trait?... If so, could you find a way to give a little more of the fox's back story? Also, I was thinking about what would happen if instead of giving up with his deep hole, the fox turned truly sour and pushed the dirt back into the neighbors hole while the neighbor was gone? Overall, really great job; I love continuations of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you did a continuation of the grapes story rather than just altering it! I also like that you stick to the fox's personality in the way he reacted to not being able to dig his hole as deep as his neighbors. It made me wonder how he interacted with other foxes in the community. Are they just like him or are his personality flaws specific to him? Overall I liked your story and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete