Sunday, January 31, 2016

Storybook Topics Brainstorm

Possible Topic - Alaskan Legends

My interest in this stemmed from the fact that I did not know that there were Alaskan legends! Alaska has always been a place that has intrigued me, I have even visited once. The natural beauty is just astonishing. I want to learn more about the state, and this project will give me an opportunity to do that!

Research so far - I have done little research as to what stories I particularly want to write, but have read some of the legends. Some of the ones that intrigue me are The Origin of the Tides, The Flood, and The First Woman.

A lake with some mountains in the background
Source: Pixabay

Possible Topic - Georgian Folktales

I really enjoy folktales, but have never read any that are centered around Africa. So that alone was enough to intrigue me. I look forward to exploring and reading each of the folktales in preparation for my storybook. 

Research so far - I have read some about Georgia to better familiarize myself with a country I know very little about. I also took a look at some of the individual folktales, and am intrigued by a few. Some that interest me are Teeth and No-Teeth, Two Losses, and The Father's Prophecy. 


Some lions in Georgia

Possible Topic - Aesop's Fables (English)

I have already read one of the sections on Aesop's fables and really enjoyed it. So, I am jumping at the opportunity to read more of them. This project will allow me to do just that.

Research so far - I am already pretty familiar with Aesop's Fables, so I do not think I will have to do as much research with this topic as the others. I have already taken a look at the list of fables though, and some that intrigue me are The Gods, Fables about People, and Birds.

Illustration to one of Aesop's fables
Source: Wikimedia

Possible Topic - Dante's Inferno


Dante's Inferno has always been a story that has intrigued me, but I have never actually sat down and read. It is such a classic tale I feel like I need to read, and this storybook project will give me the opportunity to do that. I have friend's that talk about it occasionally, and it has inspired a popular video game that I played whenever I was younger. So that will make it even more interesting for me to read.

Research so far - I am somewhat familiar with Dante's Inferno through pop-culture, but I read some online articles about it. All of the different levels of Hell look interesting, but in particular The Fallen Angels, Limbo, and Jason and the Demons intrigue me.



Image from Dante's Inferno
Source: Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. I think Alaskan legends would be such an awesome topic. I am going to do mine on Native Americans in the Pacific northwest and there seems to be a lot of cool stories from that region. That story about the origins of the tides sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete