Thursday, February 25, 2016

Week 6 Storytelling: The Stones and the Ring

Author's Note: This story is a continuation of the story titled Three Brother's of Fortune, which is about three brothers who all are gifted items that have supernatural powers. Suan, the brother who eventually ends up with a wife when the other brothers do not, has two stones which will reunite what is of similar kind. Suan uses this to restore his wife together again, and will use them in the story that follows.

~~~

After Suan and his wife had been happy together for many years, Suan still had the stones that he had used to restore life to his wife. Their life had been hard since bringing his wife back to life, for they were very poor. Suan worked very hard each day, as did his wife to provide for themselves, but they were both struggling to makes ends meet. The only hope that Suan had was his stones. If he could find a way to profit off of their usefulness, surely he and his wife would be happy for he was sure that the potential for a large profit margin was there. He had hung onto them, but they really had not been much use. He had used them on occasion, for very minor things such as fixing broken pots, and repairing other things around the house. But, it seemed that their defining moment had already happened. 

Suan spent many years thinking on this, pondering on what to do with them, even considering selling them. He could make a lot of money off of them, money that he could use to buy him and his wife a new house or more livestock. But just as he got to seriously considering this, the opportunity to use them again presented itself! The head of his village had been recently married to a gorgeous woman, and had given her a beautiful ring. However, the ring had already been broken! The stone had been separated from the ring, and no jeweler within one hundred kilometers had been successful in repairing it. Suan saw this as an opportunity to both earn favor with the head of the village, and prove the usefulness of his stones!

So Suan brought his stones to the head of the village, and offered his services. The head of the village was very suspicious at first, but then eventually submitted for there was nothing to lose. To his amazement, Suan fixed the ring right in front of him! The head of the village was amazed, and began to send out letters, telling all the surrounding villages about these wondrous stones and their powers. 

Suan soon had a huge clientele, who would bring him items each week to have him repair them. He earned a living for himself and his wife through this, and again the stones secured his livelihood. He and his wife were both happy and wealthy, with their future secured. 


Stones
Source: Pixabay

Bibliography: This story is based on The Three Brother's of Fortune out of Filipino Tales written by Dean Fansler, published in 1921.

6 comments:

  1. Man I wish I had a nice pair of stones like that! I like your story because I find satisfaction in repairing things. Maybe it is encoded in the male population to enjoy fixing things as I have heard but it really does feel good. This story also made me think about how people are given gifts and it can take time to figure out what you are gifted at. I am sure it is true that some people don't discovered those gifts. However, when you do realize your gift(s) and decide to use it/them I think you find ample opportunity. I know that has been true for me but it has taken a lot of time and I have tried many things only to find out the fit wasn't right. Overall good story though, I think the original author would have enjoyed reading this continuation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mac! I really liked your story. It is very short and sweet story. I like the continuation that you did to the original story. I think it is so true that people not always know the important of the gifts they have. I also liked how you separated your paragraphs in the story. The image you added to this story is so beautiful, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really cool that you decided to continue to original story. I've never done that with a storytelling post before, but I definitely want to try it out now since I can see how well it worked out for your post. I really like the idea of thinking that the lives of the characters don't end just because one particular story does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cool that you used the author's note to tell a story and then used this storytelling to write a continuation. Does this happen in the original story or is this completely different from the original? Reading your story, it made me think about what I would do with some magic stones. I think it's great that they used one to create continuous wealth instead of just one big sum of money or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please read my comments that came to mind while I was reading your story. You should be able to piece together which part of the story I was on when I made the comment!

    (Comments as I read along)
    Wow! That’s crazy that Suan was able to bring his wife back from the dead with these stones. That’s unfortunate that they were struggling but I’m glad that they are finally given the opportunity to put the stones to go use with the head of the village. Let’s see how that ends up working out for them.

    Perfect! The stones were able to fix the ring, and bring income to the family! That turned out pretty well for him. Got his wife back, and his now able to make a living for them, as well as have the respect of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey mac,

    I like that you included the author's note at the beginning, so we knew a little about the stones and where the story was coming from. It kind of reminded me of the Three Brothers from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the ones who possess the Resurrection Stone, the Cloak of Invisibility, and the Elder Wand.

    I found it a little unconvincing that no one could repair the ring...maybe if it had been cursed, and that's why no one could bring it back together or something. Just a minor thing.

    I did like how Suan built a business in the end, though! I expected him to sell them, or for the king to reward him with a lot of money, but I liked that he found a lasting use and profit in the stones. Clever thinking!

    ReplyDelete